27 September 2014

Homemade bounty bars


I made these bars after craving something sweet and realising I have a ton of coconut products in my house I thought why not make a healthier version of these bars? Also I live in France and I don't remember seeing any actual Bounty bars in the shops. These bad boys are a paleo treat! eat wisely.

I could have made them so they were totally covered in chocolate but that's messy and I like this coconut to chocolate ratio better.

Here's what you need:

3 cups of shredded/ desiccated coconut, unsweetened
3/4 cup coconut oil (I didn't melt the oil first I just packed it into the cup)
1/2 cup coconut butter
1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp of maple syrup
150g dark chocolate, I used Green & Black's 85%
knob of butter plus a little extra for greasing.


Melt the coconut oil in a pan along with the coconut butter;  once melted stir in the shredded coconut and the 1/4 cup of maple syrup.
Line a Square pan with some cling film, you may need to add a little butter to grease the pan and keep the cling film in place.
Pour in the coconut mixture, flatten and put in the fridge to set for 30 minutes.


Now melt the chocolate in a glass bowl over a pan over boiling water, don't let the glass touch the water! Once melted add the knob of better and the Tbsp of maple syrup and stir through.
Finally take out the coconut slab and pour over your melted chocolate and refrigerate again until it has set.

Slice up your bars and enjoy responsibly!


1 comment :

Michelle said...

This look delicious! Bookmarking for Christmas!

xo, Michelle
Neon Rattail